12. A candidate with a rare gift for bipartisanship even in today's toxic political atmosphere.
I've got many anecdotes that back this up. Here are just a few
1. The year I became a Republican I voted for Democratic Presidential candidate George McGovern because he of his anti-Vietnam War position. I also helped go to door for my neighbor who was elected as a Democrat to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
2. I voted for Independent candidate for President Republican Congressman John Anderson in 1980 rather than Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan.
3. I voted for Reagan's reelection
4. I voted for Bill Clinton in 1992
5. I cheered the Republican takeover of Congress after 50 years out of power in 1994
6. A very partisan Democrat and Republican were the co-chairs for my first
successful political campaign for public office.
7. I worked on Senator McCain's Presidential campaign in 2000 when he ran for the nomination against George W. Bush
8. I voted for George Bush that year
9. I voted from John Kerry in 2004
10. I ran as a Republican for the legislature in 1976, 1978, 2000, 2002.
11. I never missed a Republican Precinct Caucus from 1976 to 2004
12. I haven't missed a Democratic Precinct Caucus since 2006
13. The Democrat I ran against in 1976 and 1978, Mike Jaros, supported me in 2010 when I ran for the State Senate in the primary election as a Democrat.
14. I managed the congressional campaign of a Republican candidate in 1982
15. I ran for Congress as an independent in 1992 and 2006.
16 Today I'm running for the Democratic nomination for Congress.